Thursday, February 28, 2008

I'm watching Oprah about redefining your life in your 40's, 50's and 60's...

And what am I thinking of this show with all these revelations, a lot of them from surgically enhanced actresses? Well, it's hard for me to identify with these rich be-otches and their privileged lives, and the wisdom they try to impart, because they live in these plastic bubbles that aren't a part of the real world.

Bette Midler is 62, and she's saying that she thinks she is fabulous, that she looks fabulous naked, and with clothes on and she thinks she's sexy. Puh-leez - nobody looks sexy at 62, and NOBODY, looks good naked at that age... you can lift the face and botax the heck out of yourself but the body is gonna sag... But then she did get real and say that she now wonders how many more summer and winters of her life she has left, and she never thought of that before...

Natalie Cole did say something of substance when she said that she is more content to be alone with herself now that she is older (she's 58). I can identify with that, as I age, I feel that I turn inward more, and am content with my own company. That to me is an amazing thing, to be satisfied with who I am and to enjoy my alone time, it wasn't always that way...

Oprah said that by the time you are in your 50's, you please yourself and not others so much, that's true also. So some of this show has merit, it's just those phoney celebrities that "jan q. public" can't identify with...

Marianne Williamson was a guest and she has a new book, I called the library right away, and reserved a copy, it should be an interesting read. It's called The Age of Miracles, Embracing the New Midlife.

And what are my words of wisdom??? I find that the most important lesson I've learned in life, one that I tell my daughters-in-law frequently, is that YOU are the only one that can truly make yourself happy. You can't look to a man to do this, or family or friends, they enrich your lives, but it's ultimately up to you, and sometimes it's as simple as making a conscious choice to be happy.

For me, it isn't so much happiness that I strive for as it is a sense of peace. Happiness is fleeting, it's made up of fragmented moments of joy, and when that occurs it's like pure sunshine, but if you can have a constant feeling of inner peace, then the rest of your life falls in place, regardless of the turmoil of the outside world.

Oh my, that's pretty deep water I'm wading in, Miss Merry Sunshine usually doesn't get philosophical... Just my two cents worth...

1 comments:

  1. deep water indeed...but you swim quite well daisy mae. (i decided i simply had to change that nickname... i like the 'mae' part better that the 'j' part i had added. is that ok?) anyway my experience is similar to yours. i enjoy my time alone quite a bit and i would never have guessed that would come about from how i was in years past.

    finding contentment and being at peace is what i often encourage for my clients. i learned at the knee of a very wise woman that happiness is not something to strive for. contentment, peace, a sense of purpose and meaning. that's what she told me when i was at the ripe age of 17 years old. i always remembered that though and wondered if it were true.... now i understand and 'believe'.
    xo

    ReplyDelete

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena