Sunday, October 3, 2010

A little Sunday nostalgia….

My Sundays are quiet now, and I don’t like it one bit!  I miss years gone by!!!  Sunday was always the day I spent in the kitchen, cooking for my family.  Big meals, soups, stews, homemade bread, great desserts, a lot of visits from mother, too, on Sunday.  And now it’s just me and the girls, hubby works the weekends, but that’s going to change soon, only five more weeks until he retires.

The boys laugh at me because there was a period of time when they were little that I made homemade pizzas on Sunday night.  Both of them argue with me now, saying that I just didn’t make all those pizzas, but trust me I did.  I made a lot of cookies, too.  One of their favorites was a molasses cookie, sprinkled with sugar.  It was a Silver Palate recipe, my cookbook of choice in the 80’s.  I need to dig out that recipe and post it on Jan CAN Cook.

I think that’s one of the hardest things about growing older, if you’re not lucky enough to have your family live close by, not being able to have them visit on Sunday. 

I still cook for LC, it’s just not the same though.  Healthy food is not nearly exciting as comfort food like fried chicken or pot roast.  Yummy pies and cakes aren’t around anymore, and I often wonder, is it really worth it?  Look at how much we sacrifice not being able to eat the things we used to.  Right now I would kill for a pumpkin cake or a batch of those molasses cookies.  Oh, those were the days.

Maybe I’ll make a pot of chili this afternoon, that’s pretty healthy, and it’s so cool here, only 50 degrees this morning.  And I’ll figure out some kind of pumpkin dessert that’s good for us.  I know, bor-ing.  No butter, no cream cheese, it will be a challenge…  I can always do the spice cake Weight Watcher recipe.  Do any of you make this?  It’s just a cake mix with a can of pumpkin stirred in and baked.  That’s all, don’t add anything to that cake mix, no oil or eggs or water, just stir in the pumpkin, put it in a Pam sprayed baking dish, I like an 8x12 instead of 9x13, makes a thicker cake, and bake it at 350 for about 35-45 minutes, don’t overbake.  It’s actually really good, you can do this with any cake mix, even chocolate, or a brownie mix - but spice is good for fall.  And no, you don’t taste the pumpkin in the other flavors.  It’s a challenge to stir, as the batter is really stiff, and it sounds strange to make, but it really works and makes a moist, yummy cake.

~ jan here, wallowing in her memories on a sunny fall Sunday morning…

Note:  Whoohoo, thanks to the internet, I Googled those molasses cookies, they popped up instantly.  Maybe you would like to make a batch for your family this Sunday afternoon.  Sometimes I didn’t have molasses, but I always had sorghum, so I would substitute, either way, they are just wonderful.  Of course they’re wonderful, they have 12 tablespoons of butter in them!!!

I just posted the recipe on Jan CAN Cook so we’ll always have it.  It’s a keeper, ladies, pinkie swear…

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena