Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Guilt Free Homemade Potato Chips????

IMG_7168

Ahhhhhhh, these aren’t just any old potato chips.  I made wonderful, hot, yummy, totally crispy, NO FAT potato chips.  They are absolutely to die for, and you can make a plate of them for pennies and in just a few minutes. Unlike the Lays Light ones that you pay $3.89 for, these cost you practically nothing and taste LOTS better, too because they are hot and fresh.  Click on this picture and enlarge it, they look even better up close and personal.

I found this recipe a couple of days ago, and last night I made them for hubby.  The man is a potato chip addict, and he was TOTALLY impressed.  He said they tasted like kettle chips, only thinner!  You would never know they weren’t deep fried…

Here’s the scoop on how you make them.  I have a mandoline, the nifty little slicer that you have to be careful when you use that you don’t slice off your fingers, anyhoo, I got mine at Williams-Sonoma, my favorite store of stores, and I use it all the time.  Williams-Sonoma now carries a cheaper version by Oxo since I purchased mine, I’m sure it would work great, and it’s under $40. You just dial it to very thin, so that when you slice your potatoes they come out like, duh, CHIPS!  If you don’t have a mandoline, you can slice them by hand, good luck with that, I’m not really that skilled with the knife, myself.

So, after you slice your potato, don’t peel it, leave the peeling on, and btw, one potato makes a nice pile of chips, you spray either a plate or a piece of parchment or even waxed paper with Pam.  Spray it thoroughly so that the chips won’t stick.  Then you lay one layer of chips on the paper or the plate, spray the chips again with Pam, and lightly sprinkle on salt.  My first batch I sprinkled too much salt, it’s easy to overdo it, just a dusting of salt works perfectly.

Then you put them in the microwave, uncovered,  until they are golden brown and crispy, mine took five minutes.  That’s all there is to it.  Some people do a couple of layers at once, putting paper between the layers, I personally think they come out better if you just take your time and do one layer at a time.  Mine weren’t soggy at all, they were totally crispy.  And the fact that you eat them warm makes them even better…  Just be sure to spray whatever you lay them on thoroughly so that they don’t stick…

So go grab a potato, try this, you will be amazed, I pinkie swear…  You can all thank me later, you’re gonna love these, girlfriends!!! 

No guilt, cheap chips – WHOHOOOOOO!!!  Doesn’t get better than this…

~ jan

3 comments:

  1. i must admit it does sound like a perfect chip. i might just have to try it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the perfect chip. I just finished my first plate full! My old out of date, on it's last leg microwave took 17 minutes but YMMMMMM. The only problem here is they are so easy, it will probably be a daily snack for me.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh...for having a hubby who lives on chips, this will be a GODSEND! So much less fattening too~ he'll love this! Now, if only I can find a low cal/healthy cream cheese-clam dip for him!

    ReplyDelete

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena