Thursday, February 21, 2008

MEET THE ORIGINAL DAISY BELLE JOY...

You've all heard me talk about Daisy Joy, and how she was Mother's friend when I was a child.

She was the sweetest soul, and was much loved by her family, especially daughters Florence and Alice, grandchilden JC, Lana, Dana and Glenn Edward, and great grandaughters Missy and Leslie, and their mother, Joyce, who came to stay with her on a regular basis.

She was especially fond of wearing floral print dresses and always carried a big "pocketbook." Her hair was a lovely shade of gray and it always had a wave to it... She was just a grand lady... She didn't drive a car, but she lived in town (Enfield, Illinois, population 900) and would walk the few blocks from her house to the post office and the grocery store, stopping often by the drugstore where Mother worked to say hi...

I loved to visit her, she adored flowers and her yard was full of them, and I always picked daffodils and peonies in the spring, and sweet peas later in the summer. I would sit and play for hours at her old upright piano in the living room, and she often made me lemonade and served cookies with it...

Her Granddaugher, Lana, sent me some photographs of her recently, I edited this one, added effects to it, the quality was grainy, so I just played up the roughness instead of trying to smooth it out, and this is the result.

I hadn't seen a picture of Daisy since I was a young woman, so I was thrilled when Lana sent me her image. And now, you'll probably be seeing this sweet face pop up from time to time...

Isn't it fun, reconnecting with the past? It always makes me feel special to use her name as a pseudonym, and I'm glad that Lana doesn't mind me adopting her Gramma's name, online...

~ Jan, aka Daisy Belle Joy...

2 comments:

  1. dear daisy Joy's visage reminds me so much of my own grandmother. they shared a similar taste in couture which my grandmother complimented with black lace up oxfords and support hose. She grew the same flowers which she unceremoniously presented to my mother (her DIL) each spring; lily of the valley, lilacs and peonies. i remember some rather tasteless treats served with lemonade at her solid walnut walnut table while teaching me to sew doll clothes by hand. She was english through and through, reserved, proper and a terrible cook! i loved her dearly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lana sent me your blog, Daisy Joy was my Great grandma. I just adore her name so I am very happy you took it on. I just had to add to your blog, I didn't get to visit with her all that much when I was little. We would go to Enfield for Mule Days and we would visit with her. I remember that old piano and I remember that she made THE BEST iced tea (very sweet) and chicken and dumplings ever! I have the recipe, but can't get them anywhere close to her's. She had a special touch I guess. I'm glad that her memory lives on. Thank you. Niki Webb (Dana's daughter)

    ReplyDelete

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena