Saturday, January 29, 2011

Do you wash your hair, or do you shampoo?

prell

I had a flashback tonight, I was thinking about washing my hair and I  could just hear mother say, “I’m going to shampoo in the morning.”

I would call her on the phone, a lot of times she would say to me, “what’s new, pussycat,” probably due to her ongoing fascination with all things Golden Girl, I would ask her what she was going to do that day, and she would reply that she was going to “shampoo.”  Her signature shampoo was Prell, I can still remember exactly how it smells, and will always associate it with her.

I never say that I’m going to shampoo, I always wash my hair, but it made me smile tonight thinking of her “shampooing” in the kitchen sink, then rolling her hair on those wire rollers from the 60’s, securing them with clips and wrapping a scarf around her head until it dried.  Toto has come a long way from Kansas, simply blowing it dry and using a flat iron, but I remember the days of the curlers, sleeping with them stuck in my hair every single night of my teenage life.  I never got a good night’s sleep with those wire rollers digging into my scalp, but oh the things that teenage girls do for vanity.

What is it with me and all these blasts from the past this week?  First the Tangee, now the rollers.  Good memories, though.  Maybe I’ll get up and “shampoo” in the morning.  Yeah, ma, I think I will…

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena