Saturday, September 13, 2014

Happiness Vs. Pleasure

  

NewImage

I’ve often talked about happiness being fleeting moments in time but inner peace is what I strive for.  Then I read an article about happiness vs. pleasure and it made me step back and think about what gives me pleasure.  It’s not revelations, yet reaffirmations of what I already know.  At this age, I know myself pretty well, warts and all, and most important, I accept who I am.  And if you read me regularly, you can pretty much figure out what gives me pleasure, but I may throw a curve ball at you, so here goes...

  • The obvious, family, grandchildren, a simple phone call is all it takes to give me great joy.  FaceTime takes it to a whole new level and actually makes me giddy.
  • A furry little body sitting by my side, silently warming my soul.
  • Walking to the window with my morning coffee, in the summer stepping outside to feel the wind on my face, observing the wonders of Mother Nature is the most calming thing in my world.
  • Accomplshment.  My mother always said “Never let a day go by without accomplishing something” and as usual Ma was right, even doing a little job that I’ve procrastinated about gives me pleasure when I actually do it.
  • A smile, whether it be from a loved one or a stranger, just the interaction with people is uplifting.
  • A good hair day, yes dear hearts, I’m a vain woman and there is nothing like a good hair day to perk me right up.
  • Oh, I can’t forget cutting the tags off of new clothes.  I don’t know if it’s the clothes themselves that give me such pleasure, or if it’s cutting the tag off something that actually fits without going up a size.  I’m sure you can relate.
  • A touch, a hug, human kindness.  We need more of it in our world.
  • Giggling, happy children.  It always sends my pleasure endorphins into overdrive..
  • A loaf of warm crusty bread, a rarity in these days, preferably shared with my boys who are both bread lovers like their mom.
  • Date night, no surprise here, but nothing gives me more pleasure than Friday nights out with hubby.  
  • Pine trees after a rain, nothing more fragrant, the smells of nature are a wondrous thing.
  • Food, doesn’t it give us all pleasure?  A piece of homemade pie with a cup of coffee, a plate of pasta, takeeoutee chinese eaten in front of the television, homemade candy, preferably caramels or fudge,  all the things that give me pleasure, and the very things I deny myself 95% of the time. 
  • Clean sheets, I haven’t had line dried ones in years, but there is nothing better.
  • Occasional solitude.  I’ve discovered I really do like my own company.
  • Those in my life who love me in spite of my transgressions.  We’re all human, doing the best we can, living the best life we can.  

I could go on and on, actually no big surprises here, what about you?  Think about what gives you pleasure and make it happen… Today!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena