On my blog entry of June 30th, I posted about what I was going to do, and it all came together really nicely. John and Deanna were visiting over the 4th, so John picked up my “Document” fabric from The Fabric House in Nashville. (Yes, they take phone orders if you are interested). I had picked up my Designer Tack Bulletin Board at Menard’s, the size is just a bit smaller than the Pottery Barn Bulletin Board, theirs measures 48 x 36”, mine measures 48 x 32”.
It was stifling hot the morning that they put it together for me, but my guys are troopers, they sweated it out, with me sitting in a chair giving them specific instructions and taking pictures. Here’s how it played out…
After a trip to the local Lowe’s, hubby purchased 1” x 3” strips to make a frame for the board.
Then he reinforced it with additional strips in the center so that it would be stable, cut plywood to fit, here you can see how it’s looking so far.
Note: When you mount the plywood to the inside of the 1x3” frame, you have to indent it from the top side so that when you place the Designer Tack Bulletin Board on top of the plywood, the mount is flush.
Next came the sanding to smooth out all the edges of the raw lumber.
Then they fit the bulletin board inside the frame, making sure that it fit correctly.
The next step was gluing the bulletin board to the plywood. This was accomplished with a glue gun and a tube of Liquid Nail. After John applied the adhesive, he took the smooth edge of a box to smear it evenly over the surface.
And this is my granddog Izzie, she had nothing to do with this, but I thought you would all enjoy a picture of seeing her cuteness.
Next we had a bit of a hiccup. It happens, there were no instructions, we just made this up as we went along. I thought that we needed foam behind the fabric, why I don’t know, but after we put foam on the board, I could quickly see that it would have made it too cushy and that wasn’t the look I wanted, so we discarded the foam. Bad picture, sorry
At this point, yours truly actually got up out of her chair, put down the camera and pressed the fabric and the guys started stapling it to the board. I’m getting excited now, because it’s all starting to gel! Did I mention how great this fabric is? It’s 54” wide, so no seams, it’s woven fabric, it has texture and body, and it only cost $16.49 a yard. John bought a yard and a half, but I think a yard and a quarter would have been plenty. The extra fabric did allow us to position the script exactly where we wanted it.
First you staple the middle of the top, then you staple the middle of the bottom, then you continue to stretch and staple the entire top and bottom of the board. Then you turn it sideways and do the same thing – staple the middle of top and bottom, stretch the fabric so it’s taut and staple the entire sides. Then you fold the ends envelope style, hiding all the raw edges, and fold it and staple it so that when it’s hung, the folds are on the top and bottom so that they aren’t visible from the side.
This sounds difficult, it isn’t, once you start doing it, you will get the hang of it quickly. And of course when we finished it, we had to date it, because that’s what you do when you create your personal masterpieces.
And now it’s time to put it on the wall, and I know, you’re all thinking, oh it looks okay I guess, what’s the big deal…
Well, dear hearts, it’s not the bulletin board, it’s what you put on it. And here it is, the finished product, well not exactly finished, as bulletin boards are always a work in progress, arranging and rearranging as the seasons change and your family grows.
Without further ado, drum roll, please for Jan’s better than Pottery Barn’s bulletin board. TADA…. (click pictures to enlarge)