Thursday, October 23, 2008

Roasting your own coffee beans....

My online friend, Seana, mentioned the other day that I should try roasting my own coffee beans, so I've been checking it out online. Apparently it's pretty simple, you buy green coffee beans, which by the way, stay fresh for a year, and you roast the beans in an air popcorn popper, it's simple and just takes a few minutes. There are a lot of online sources for green coffee beans, all inexpensive, too...


Apparently the beans smoke as they roast, so you need to do this in the garage or out on the patio, but it's something I might want to try. Here's the CLICK for an article about how to do this...


I keep reading that roasted beans lose a lot of their flavor after 15 days, so if you're like me, we never really have fresh coffee, because who knows how long those beans have been in the store before we buy them. And if you're buying already ground coffee, that's even worse!


And, I was talking to Lindsay this morning, Ryan has been researching brewing full bodied coffee at home, and he's been brewing her coffee starting with hot water instead of cold. The reason for this is if you start with cold water, the temperature never gets hot enough while brewing to develop the flavor fully. They use the Cuisinart Grind'n Brew, Linds says it really is better this way. This goes against everything I was ever taught, which was to start with cold water, but hey, I'll give it a try... Ry always researches the science behind the cooking process, so I'm sure he's on to something.


Just a few coffee ideas for you to ponder this cool fall morning...






0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena