Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Oh my....

It was "tweetie time" around here a few minutes ago. Thanks to Hooterville for turning me onto that silly phrase. Every time she gives Albie a treat she says, "It's Tweetie Time." So now I do the same, and it sounds really strange to people who don't know how dingy I am... But all I have to do is say "It's Tweetie Time" and Mags comes running. Mollie is catching on fast, her little ears perk right up already when I say it.

Anyway, I peeled an apple for the M&M's, they were munching away and I had a flashback to when I was a little girl at Grandma Short's house.

She scraped apples for her grandchildren. She always wore a housedress, her hair was never cut, it was wound on top of her head and secured with tortoise combs, she wore wire rimmed glasses and she always had on those flesh colored cotton opaque stockings and old lady shoes, and she always had on an apron, always. Grandma had twelve children, but she was a small woman, with little bird bones and as I've blogged about before, she fed everybody that came to her house, especially the children.

She would cut paper dolls and snowflakes for us from old newspapers, and then she would bring out the apples, carrying them to the "front room" in her apron. She would cut an apple in half, and using a knife take out the core, then she would take a spoon and scrape the inside of the apple, leaving the outer peeling intact like a little cup. She had eighteen grandchildren, so there was usually more than one of us around, and she would sit us in a row, and using a small spoon, scrape the flesh away from the apple and feed it to us. We would open our mouths like little birds, and the combination of the taste of Grandma's finger, the feel of the cold spoon and the nectar of the apple scrapings was pure ambrosia.

Funny I should remember that as I was giving my dogs their afternoon treat. Hmmmmm, wonder if they would like a scraped apple? Oh my, I need a grandchild really bad....

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena