Friday, September 19, 2008

Our children, they grow older, but they don’t really grow up….

Thank goodness, there is nothing more charming than an adult child, with “occasional” lapses into familiar childlike behavior.

My youngest, Ryan, turns 33 tomorrow.  In birthdays of his childhood, when favorite meals were always on the agenda, Ryan would have strange combinations, things like lasagna, tTunnel of Fudge Cakeaco salad, and always, always, that horrid box mix of Tunnel of Fudge Cake.  I’ve talked about Tunnel of Fudge Cake many times, how nobody liked the darned thing, I don’t even think baby boy liked it, but he HAD to have it, and of course, I would make it, he would eat a piece, the rest of us would pass, I would put it in Tupperware, and it would surface months later, pushed to the back of the pantry, growing a green skin.  This happened year after year.  In fact, when Lindsay and Ry got married, she surprised him with a Tunnel of Fudge Groom’s Cake, which of course sent him into spasms of joy, while the wedding guests waited patiently for Lindsay to explain his ongoing love affair with the chocolate monster. 

You can’t even buy the mix anymore, thank goodness, but oh, I have a recipe for a homemade one, it’s a lot of trouble, and no better than the mix, but he doesn’t ask for it anymore, I think he’s finally realized there are more yummy desserts to be had than that cake, and I’ve passed the torch of cooking his favorite meal to Lindsay.  Well, not completely, because both my sons milk their birthday meal for all it’s worth, so I’m sure when he comes home he will be talking me into making yet another birthday dinner for him.

And what’s his meal of choice this year?  It’s one of those lapses into childhood behavior things.  When he was a little boy, he and his Dad ADORED franks and beans, and white gummy bread, usually served with fried potatoes or french fries. 

John didn’t care for it, I tolerated it, but oh my, Ry loved it.  So that’s what he wants Lindsay to make him, my gourmet cook, food snob son, wants a childhood meal, beans and franks, and…. TATER TOTS!!!!  Oh, and of course, the required white, gummy loaf of Bunny Bread… Blecht!!!  Poor Linds, she’ll fix it, but she won’t eat a bite, Im sure.  And dessert?  Chocolate chip cookies….  Now that would work for me, Lindsay makes rockin’ chocolate chip cookies…

I’ll be calling him in the morning, early, singing Happy Birthday to him,  and no doubt later in the day hearing in great detail about how great his birthday dinner was.

Oh, he’s a sweetheart, that son of mine, Happy Birthday a bit early, Ry…

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena