Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Oh my....

I was reading another blog this morning, Amy at Inspireco, and she was talking about wrap-around skirts. Now that's a blast from the past!!! I hadn't thought of them in years. I remember Mother making me one in high school, it was madras plaid, and I was so excited I couldn't wait until she finished it.

I looked like CRAP in that skirt!!! What a disappointment. I never had the body for a wrap-around skirt, of course I couldn't understand why, but now I realize it was because I never had a little waist. I never had that tiny little waist that it took to wear a wrap, so of course I looked like a cow in my skirt and I'm sure the plaid didn't help either. But, come to think about it, I don't remember any of my friends looking particularly attractive in theirs, either.

I was, however a total knockout in a mui mui, and I was made for long peasant dresses...

We made mui mui's (I don't know if I'm spelling that right, but you all know what I'm talking about, those wild Hawaiian print cotton gathered yolk dresses that were so voluminous they hid all of your body flaws) in home ec class one year, and my friend, Karen had hers finished, and she was chatting with me while she cut away the stray threads and trimmed the seam of her yolk. She wasn't paying attention to what she was doing and she cut a big old slice out of the front her mui mui that she had been sewing all semester. She held it up, saw that gaping hole in the yolk and was so upset she about peed her pants... I remember just howling with laughter, which no doubt upset the teacher to no end. She was a great teacher, I remember her writing in my yearbook that I was the "Magpie" of the freshman class.

I just looked up Magpie, and the web defines a magpie as a chatterer: an obnoxious and foolish and loquacious talker.

Well, that wasn't very nice of that teacher to write that in my book!!!!! How dare she!!!

But I haven't changed much over the years, I still chatter, I'm still foolish and I can be obnoxious, just ask Hooterville, she'll tell you how obnoxious I am. Loquacious, I don't know what that means, and I'm certainly not going to look it up, I'm depressed enough as it is reading the definition of a Magpie. I always thought it was just a cute little bird that talked a lot. Hah!!! So much for my memories of that teacher!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena