Monday, March 31, 2008

A typical spring day in Heavensville...

It's warm, it's soggy, we have sporadic bursts of sunshine, then more clouds, more rain... The daffy's are in full bloom, the grass is green, the magnolia's are starting to bloom, and I'm being nostalgic again. Seems like I always am in the spring.

Hubby and I were driving thru the country today, I was thinking of my childhood and how on a warm, blustery day like today, I would be out in the yard, and if I was young enough that Mother still had control over me, I'm sure she would either have had me in a headscarf or cotton in my ears, trying to keep me from having one of the earaches that plagued me as a child. Egads, how I hated headscarves -After the age of about ten I wouldn't be caught dead in one, then or now!

Anyhoo, we would be picking up sticks out of the yard, bundling them to put in the burning barrel on a non-windy day and raking leaves away from the new growth of perennials emerging from their winter sleep. My beloved ditch would be coming alive, the red winged blackbirds that I love so much would be singing, and Topsy, my cocker spaniel, would be nipping at my heels...

I made a scrapbooking page about my feelings regarding spring last year. Some of you have already seen this, some not. It's published at millyscraps. Here's the CLICK.

And yes, that really is my ditch in the picture. Hooterville and I go past my childhood home often to take pictures of it. It's a constant in my ever changing world, the ditch is always the same... We're both hugely sentimental about it, as you all well know, as I talk about it often. Who would have thought in my childhood that it would mean so much to me as an adult. I've loved it always...

1 comments:

  1. it seems these kinds of childhood memories overtake me as well....they are so unexpected and so full of nostalgia. i am filled with mingled feelings of happiness, sadness and amazement at how fast it all goes and how good life has been... it is especially poignant for me to look upon some of those memories with the fresh viewpoint of wisdom and gratitude.

    i am so looking forward to an ongoing parade of photos of your garden jan!
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena