Sunday, March 9, 2008

Random thoughts about... what else... food!

I made hubby corned beef yesterday - coughed up the extra $$ and bought a round instead of a brisket - I'll never buy brisket again, the round was totally lean, and since I cooked it in the slow cooker, it was very moist - HOW? Rinse the corned beef, put in the spice packet, fill the crock halfway with water, add a large sliced onion and a few cloves of crushed garlic, cook 10 hours on low - 3 hours before the 10 are up, duh, Jan, that would be after 7 hours, add cabbage wedges, baby carrots and halved red potatoes - amazing meal, no trouble, leftovers... don't forget the horseradish and pumpernickel bread.

If you are a regular reader, you know that I am a bean lover, ADORE them, I've been on a chickpea (garbanzo bean) kick lately, eat them out of the can, cook dry garbanzos in chicken broth and onions, put them in salads right out of the can, or drain them, saute them in a little bit of olive oil until crunchy, and use instead of croutons.

Making my own dressing lately, dijon mustard, rice vinegar, bit of honey, salt pepper and EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) - whisk, simple, easy - don't measure, just do it...

Been missing cooking lately, tonight I was going to warm the corned beef, make hubby twice-baked potatoes - wrong - those redskins were too thin - I waved them, tried scooping, no can do, they were falling apart - just threw them in a bowl, mashed them with potato masher, peelings and all - added the sauteed red peppers, mushrooms and onion that I had cooked down in a bit of butter, put in a big dollop of low fat sour cream, some fat free half and half, cheddar cheese - baked them in a casserole - same taste, no bother - love potato skins.

Back to the beans, told you it was random - I'm a huge fan of refried beans, never knew how to make them, never really thought much about it, always get them at the Mexican Truck Stop (El Charro, local restaurant) - they have the best in the world. Finally took the time to read about them - just cook dried pintos in water until they are tender - drain them, then in a large skillet, put a couple of tablespoons of bacon grease (or olive oil if you are being healthy, true refried beans are cooked in lard) - I'm going to do the bacon grease, 2 tablespoons isn't much for a whole lb. of beans, anyhoo, melt the bacon grease, add the beans and a bit of water, mash with a potato masher, and "fry." Hence "refried beans." How about that??? Keep adding water if they get too thick, thats it, simple, I'm going to try it.

Watched bobble head today on FoodTv (Everyday Italian, Giada whatever her name is, skinny little be-otch irritates the crap outta me, I don't trust skinny cooks, notice I said "cook", no way some of these people on FoodTv are chefs, IMO). Anyhoo, she made cupcakes from a cake mix, and then she made a mixture of marscapone cheese, strawberries, sugar and lemon, whirred in in a food processor, and using a pastry bag and tip, pushed the tip into the cooled cupcake and squirted it full of filling. Sounds to die for.

Made hubby a cherry pie, not really, Pillsbury Already Piecrust that needed to be used, a couple of cans of cherry pie filling, milk and sugar on the top crust, bake it and he has.... PIE! No butter though, poor hubby, he doesn't need it dotted with butter even though it would taste better. I like almond flavoring in it, couldn't find it, probably in the back of the spice cabinet where I can't reach. Oh well... He doesn't even like cherry pie, I do.... *blushing* He'll eat it though, he likes anything that's hot and sweet. That's why he's been batshit crazy about me all these years. Oh, laughing so hard my sides are splitting. Fever is getting to my brain...

Never know how much I love you, you never know how much I care
When you put your arms around me, I get a feeling that I just can't bear
You give me fever, when you kiss me, fever when you hold me tight
Fever in the morning, fever all through the night.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena