Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Chia Seeds, are they a good thing?

NewImage

 

There's a lot of buzz going around about the health benefits of Chia Seeds.  Yes, the same seeds that you use for Chia Pets.  They're low in calories, full of antioxidants and vitamins.  They give you energy, are filling, yada yada yada.

Here's part of what Eating With Purpose has to say about them. 

So what makes chia seeds a true superfood that you just can’t live without? For starters, lets take a look at these impressive stats. Chia seeds contain:

  • 8 times more omega 3’s than salmon
  • 30% more antioxidants than blueberries
  • 25% more fiber than flax seeds
  • 3 times more iron than spinach
  • 15 times more magnesium than broccoli
  • 6 times more calcium than milk
  • 2 times more potassium than a banana

Read more: http://eatingwithpurpose.com/2011/10/chia-seeds

Ryan picked me up a package at Trader Joe's and I decide to give them a try yesterday.  There are different ways of eating them, you can add water and they turn to tapioca like gel with little beads, you can grind them, or just sprinkle in things like yogurt, smoothies, soup, salads, scrambled eggs, anything you want, the possibilities are endless.

It was evening, I was having some low carb ice cream, so I just sprinkled on a tablespoon.  Well, that was different.  They were tiny little seeds, not much flavor, a bit gritty, but they expand and gel in your stomach and make you full.

I ended up with them stuck in my teeth, they gelled in my mouth, and I was just sitting laughing at how stupid I am.  Was I hungry, I don't think so, I got so involved with something else that I don't remember.

Will I try them again?  Oh sure, I will, these little beauties are good for you, and I really don't mind the slightly gritty texture, but then I'm pretty warped.

If you Google "Low Carb Chia Seeds" you will see tons of information about them.  I'm constantly amazed at all the different things I find when eating healthy.  Chia Seeds are inexpensive, you can find them at your local health food store, and if you don't like them, you can always start a Chia Pet.  Well you can!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena