Tuesday, May 21, 2013

When a monster storm suddenly becomes personal

NewImage

I was working at the computer yesterday when early information about the Oklahoma tornado started coming to my inbox.  My friend, Holly, the same Holly who sends me the wonderful handmade cards, lives in an Oklahoma City suburb and I quickly sent her an email, naively saying that I hoped she was okay.

Then additional reports started quickly coming in, I went to the den to watch the coverage with hubby, and realized that the tornado had struck Moore, Oklahoma.  I got this sick feeling, quickly pulled up Holly's address, and sure enough, my fears were realized, she lives in Moore, Oklahoma.  I didn't have her cell phone number, so I started emailing her again, and Larry pulled up her address on Google Maps.  It looked like she was right in the path of destruction.

I surmised that both she and her husband were at work, as this happened mid-afternoon, but the scene that unfolded was just, as you all know, horrifying.  Finally, last night at 8:30pm, I got an email from her.  She was in Hilton Head on vacation, had finally gotten thru to one of her neighbors and found out that the tornado came within three blocks of her house and thankfully, her only damage was dirt and slime.

This is a perfect example of how quickly our lives can change.  There is no power over Mother Nature, we only rent space from her, and it can be taken away in a heartbeat. 

I'm very relieved for my friend this morning as I watch coverage of this horrible tragedy, but so, so many others were not so lucky...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena