Sunday, February 10, 2013

Organizing my space...

NewImage

I really don't know whats happened to yours truly in the past couple of years, but I'm totally obsessed with organization.  Well, that's no surprise about the obsession, I always seem to have some kind of obsession going on in my life.  But I have to admit, this is one of my better ones.  

It all started a couple of years ago with  my big pantry reorganization.  This has worked phenomenally well, putting everything in baskets, its so easy to pull one out and grab what you need instead of pilfering through the pantry and knocking everything over.  Then it progressed to baskets in the fridge, which was a disaster, the family made such fun of me, but I've discovered the problem was I had too many baskets in the fridge, now I just have a few for pickles, condiments, and dairy items, and now it's working well.  Nothing gets hidden behind anything, I just pull out my basket and take out what I need.  And I've always been a fan of draw organizers, they just keep everything separated.  That was probably my first inkling to organization, a few years ago when I realized that the "secret" to organization is containment.

And last fall, when hubby added more shelves and drawer partitions to my closet, it has been one of the best things he's ever done.  I haven't had a messy closet since he redid it for me.  I have been meaning to take pictures and show you all how well it's working, I've got that on my "to do" list for this month.  Ditto with the jewelry drawers, I bought black felt partitioned organizers for my jewelry and now it's totally contained, totally straight.

I also redid my dresser drawers, they are now lined with plastic bins, so that I can separate socks, scarves, and yes, even Maggie's doggie duds are in bins.

The linen closet is my next effort, but I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing with it yet.  And this morning I found these organizing tips on Martha Stewart's website, and I was intrigued not only with the hall closet pictured above, but also this linen closet.
 

NewImage

If you link here, Martha has 8 organizing videos, everything from organizing this linen closet above to your pantry, the woman even has a video on how to organize your family.  Now, it's Martha, so she does tend to go a bit overboard, but she has such wonderful ideas.  Let's 's face it, she's brilliant, and her attention to detail and work ethic are to be admired. 

This morning I subscribed to her daily "organizing" newsletter, so I'll probably be bombarding you with her good tips.  

My world just flows so much more smoothly when everything is in it's place, and by nature I am not that person, so it takes deliberate effort on my part to put things where they need to be.  But I've found that even this old(er) brain can be retrained, I actually stop and tell myself to put whatever I'm holding where it belongs.

It's not that my house looks messy, everything always looks good on the outside, it's when you go behind the scenes and open drawers and closets that it's cluttered, but no more!  And since I live with a totally neat freak husband, he is thrilled that I've finally, finally, after all these years  gotten my act together.  

But here's the $64,000 question, will it last?  Yes, I actually think it will, until the dementia sets in, anyway.  As Martha always says, "it's a good thing..."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena