Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Food and childhood memories…

When I was a little girl, mother’s best friend was a lady named Helen McGuire.  This woman was amazing, I’ve never known anyone else like Helen in my entire life.  There wasn’t a lot of money in her house, but the woman was a genius with stretching a dollar.

We ate at her house often, she served the most wonderful food, things I’ve never forgotten, like her small cubes of fried potatoes, loaded with pepper and fried in bacon drippings.  And her hamburgers, oh I thought she made the most wonderful hamburgers in the world, never knowing that she made them the way she did to stretch the meat, and I adored them.

Why it’s taken me sixty-two years to make mine like hers, I’ll never know, but last night hubby was grilling, I took out probably a generous half pound of ground sirloin to make the burgers, I put them in a bowl, added salt, pepper and Worchestershire sauce, onion and a bit of green pepper, and on a whim, I broke an egg into the mixture.

Well, since I only had used a half a pound of meat, I had a gloppy mess.  So I decided to do what Helen did, I used my Bullet Blender to make crumbs of one large slice of 12 grain bread, I added it to the meat mixture, formed it into two patties and onto the grill it went.

Meanwhile I sauteed mushrooms in butter for the top, and when DH came into the house with those burgers, oh did they bring back memories.  They were brown and crispy from the egg mixture, and the taste was just like Helens.  I’m sure she never used ground sirloin, but the egg gave it moisture so the burgers weren’t dry.

I gave up 10 carbs for that bread in my burger, and it was so worth it.  I’ll be making these again and again. 

I snapped a picture with my phone, oh wow, they tasted just like wonderful childhood memories…

burger

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena