Sunday, October 30, 2011

My annual Halloween Sloppy Joe Recipe...

 

I post this recipe every Halloween, it dates back to the early '80's when we were living in Denver and my friend Susan shared it  with me.  It's  been an annual Halloween tradition at our house ever since, Sloppy Joes and potato chips, and now the boys make them for their families.  When they were little it was such a busy time getting them ready to trick 'or treat, so I would make this ahead and have it for them when they got home with their "loot."  And since I love holiday traditions, it quickly became a "must make" every Halloween.

I've given this recipe to countless friends, and everybody loves it.  It's made from simple ingredients you will have in your kitchen, almost as easy as opening a can of Manwich and so much better!  So, if you've never tried these, do yourself a favor and make them for your family this week.

This recipe is a scan of a scrapbook cookbook page I made for John and Ryan a few years ago, it's a bit hard to read, so here is the text:

1 teaspoon salt
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon worchestershire sauce 
1 tablespoon vinegar (white)
2 tablespoons brown sugar (heaping)
1 cup Heinz ketchup
1/4 cup water
cayenne pepper to taste
1 lb. ground beef

Salt and pepper ground beef to taste, brown with onions, drain, add the rest of the ingredients and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.  My guys always loved them with a slice of melted Velveeta on top and my homemade Lime Pickles.  

This is one of those recipes you will make again and again, it's just the best ever!

Happy Halloween

~ jan

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena