Friday, February 4, 2011

Down Comforters, they’re not your grandma’s featherbeds…

I think that Grandma’s featherbed is why I resisted using a down comforter all these years.  If you’ve never tried to smooth out feathers and fit a sheet over a featherbed, you have no clue as to how daunting that can be.  Every time we spent the night at Grandma’s, I would have to wrestle that darned featherbed, trying to make it of a morning.  But sleeping on top of feathers is totally different than sleeping under them.

Our kids had down comforters and we would sleep under them when we visited them, and talk about how nice it was, then come home and totally forget about it.  But a couple of years ago they had a down comforter marked down, wayyyy down, at Tuesday Morning.  We have a king size bed, and soft goods for it can be really spendy, but this comforter was just such a good deal that I bought it.  I brought it home, stuffed it in a closet and there it stayed until last summer.

I finally got around to buying a duvet, stuffed it with the down comforter and put it on the bed.  I quickly realized that it was indeed, light as a feather and worked great as a light blanket all summer long.  Then autumn rolled around, I was still just using the duvet and a sheet, no need for a blanket.  Then this gawdawful winter started, the temps were frigid, I keep the bedroom cool, and still no need for a blanket.  It’s simply the most awesome thing, it keeps you cool in the summer, toasty warm in the winter, not to mention the fact that the M&M’s love it, they dive on top of it, and sink into the down, almost disappearing, and are instantly asleep.

Mine doesn’t have channel stitching, like some do to keep the feathers in place, and I prefer it this way because it’s so fluffy.  I simply flip it end for end every few days and the feathers redistribute.  But the best part is not being weighed down by blankets, it really is like sleeping under a cloud.

So, if you are a late bloomer to the idea of a comforter like I was, or had always wondered about one but weren’t sure if you would like it, give it a try, they are a wonderful thing.  I think hubby likes it even more than I do, he thinks it’s the greatest thing, ever.

I still see them often at Tuesday Morning for great prices.  If you’re looking for one, it’s a good place to start.  I found all kinds of duvets at Bed Bath and Beyond.  Of course Pottery Barn has gorgeous ones, they are simply stunning, but I couldn’t justify the cost, considering I sleep with the dogs and wash mine often.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena