Thursday, September 16, 2010

Fish stew, first attempt….

re1

re2
Okay, after several emails back and forth with Carlene this morning, I decided to give fish stew a try.  She was skeptical because flounder is thin, she thought it might disintegrate in the soup.  She lives in Maryland, has great access to all kind of fish and seafood, unfortuanately, in Heavensville it doesn’t happen.  I have to use frozen.

So here’s what I did, here’s how it turned out, and here is my take on it…

  • 1 can diced italian tomatoes (a few herbs can’t hurt)
  • 3 cups chicken stock
  • 2 yukon gold potatoes, diced, with peeling left on
  • 1 large carrot, diced
  • 1 onion chopped
  • handful of chopped cabbage (I didn’t have bok choy)
  • 1 cup frozen lima beans
  • handful of frozen peas.
  • salt and pepper to taste

I simmered the veggies in the stock, then added two whole pieces of frozen flounder, and let it simmer for about 10 minutes, then I took the fish out, gently, and let the rest of the soup simmer until done. 

Carlene likes her soup without cornstarch, we like the broth a bit thicker, so I added a tablespoon or so of cornstarch mixed into 1/2 cup water at the end.  Then I flaked the fish into chunks and carefully put it back in so it didn’t fall completely apart.

And????

It was good, it could have been better I think with a splash of white wine or sherry as Carlene suggested, but nothing was open, and I didn’t want to open a bottle for this.

It does taste like fish, but it’s not overpowering.  I added a few chow mein noodles (no croutons in the pantry) for some crunch.  And yes, that’s a dip bowl I put it in – it’s my favorite bowl for soup….

I would do this again for sure, but I don’t think I would want it more than a couple of times before tiring of it.  However, if I would have had bok choy, I would have worked in 3 of the five cancer starving ingredients, cooked tomatoes, bok choy and flounder.

1 comments:

  1. I make a Mexican seafood stew that has shrimp and fish in it. I always add the shrimp and fish in at the end, and only cook it for about 15 minutes. It has the veggies and jalapeno peppers in it. I only make it about twice a year--it's about that time again. Yours looks good!

    ReplyDelete

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena