Friday, June 25, 2010

Nothing like cucumbers and onions in the summertime…

cukes

I talked to Deanna a few days ago, and she was telling me about her garden.  She and John planted their first one this year, and she has cucumbers.  She was so excited. 

My oldest son is so much like his father.  He always is figuring out a better way.  He installed a sprinkler system in his back yard, then he figured out how to constantly give it a dose of fertilizer every time he waters, and now they have put drips on all of their pots so they are totally self watered.  As a result, their garden is growing like crazy,  looks like they are going to have a bounty of fresh veggies.

I’m thinking that hubby and I need to do that next year.  It would sure change our routine, every morning we’re out with the hose.  The weather is so hot in Heavensville that we have to water really often.  It sure would be nice for it to all happen automatically.

So this morning I got up, fixed these cucumbers and onions, put great northern and pinto beans in the pressure cooker and made a pitcher of tea.  Just a country summer morning.  And how do I make the cucumbers and onions?

I slice them thinly with the mandoline, add equal parts of vinegar and water, I had a big english cucumber, it made quite a bit, so I used 2 cups of white vinegar and 2 cups of water.  I added six packs of Splenda, a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of pepper and sprinkled them with hot pepper flakes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena