Wednesday, September 16, 2009

From MORE Magazine, What is wrong with Acting Old… if you are!

anne By: Anne Armand

There is nothing more ridiculous than an older person trying to look young or 'cool'. An old guy in a backwards aseball cap is funny. Why can't we just look like a nice version of ourselves. I have written a story called CHANGING, which I am waiting for MORE to publish. Basically, it is about aging. Please look at my picture. I am going to be 70 in November. So What? The old face matches my old body. They are a set. Does that mean I don't wear becoming clothes which are both age and figure appropriate? I am beginning to get annoyed with the emphasis on youth in a magazine that is supposed to be for women over 40. Perhaps they meant 41. Several of the women with whom I have exchange messages have been commenting on this for a while. In my story, I also mention that my brother-in-law was a cosmetic surgeon. I turned down his offer of a make-over. It's like a dead end street. You can't make me look totally young. Just bits and pieces that wouldn't match. You'd have to start with my toes and work up. I am what I am, and if I talk about the past, it is because I was there. If I talk about wisdom, it is because I have some. If I talk about my grandchildren, it is because I am an N'annie. Truthfully, I do the best with what I've got. My clothing is not LOFT it is TALBOTS. I follow the old rule: If you've worn a mini-skirt at an earlier age, you probably shouldn't wear one again. Old is Okay. If you take good care of yourself, you are going to get there too. Go gracefully, and don't worry about what people think. There is far more to a life well lived, than how you look. We place too much emphasis on appearance. So for those of you who have years to go to catch me, I will be on the golf course or on my computer. I sit by windows with lace curtains as I look out at the world. It is muted and soft. I like it that way! I have nothing MORE to prove, but oh, so many things to do.

Read her entire story, Changing, by clicking here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena