Monday, July 27, 2009

Just for today, If I could be ten again….

50's girls bike

  • I would rock my dollies  in the porch swing, while listening for the whistle of the morning train as it came over the hill.
  • I would take a puppy, and a kitten or two, for a walk down our country road, barefoot, feeling the powdery dust between my toes.
  • I would lie on my back in the grass, and watch the puffy clouds rolling by in the summer sky.
  • I would eat anything I wanted for lunch, washed down with real sweet  tea,  with lots of ice and sugar, and an orange slice, Mother always put an orange slice in my tea.  And I would do this without worrying a whit about the calories, and then I would have dessert, too!
  • I would ride my Western Flyer bike really fast down the hill, with my streamers blowing in the wind, the breeze cooling my flushed little face. 
  • I would stop on the bridge next to our house and peer into my beloved ditch to see if there was a frog in the water, and watch the wet rocks glistening in the dappled sunlight.
  • I would accept the day, today, for what it is.  A gift, with no worries or fears, just the innocence of childhood in a magical country setting called Enfield.

Just for today…

3 comments:

  1. Oh, & Jan, don't forget to clip a playing card to the front wheel frame of your bike with a clothespin to get that putt-putt sound as the spokes go 'round! My sister & I always did that. Did you?
    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES, ME, TOO!!!!! I almost put that on there, Betty, I LOVED that sound! Oh, girlfriend you're a woman I would love to know in person. We would get along like a house on fire!!!!! XOXOXO ~ Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. COOOL bike, Hahaha! I think I've seen one like it somewhere before! But I would NEVER put a card on my spokes....ya know, that would slow you down a few milliseconds per hour, GASP!!!

    ReplyDelete

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena