Sunday, March 22, 2009

White Trash Cooking….

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2017/2534189897_003e954b4f.jpg

I’ve been known as a White Trash cook. I have, just ask my family…  My love of Velveeta, Miracle Whip and Crisco Frosting have firmly ensconced me in the White Trash Hall of Fame. 

I actually bought this cookbook a few years back, and believe it or not, I can relate to a lot of it, right down to the pictures of a messy fridge.

Hey, there are some good recipes in here, honest. And some bad ones, things like Potato Chip Sandwich, which is potato chips and Miracle Whip between two slices of white gummy bread, mashed til the chips crush, best washed down with Pepsi Cola.  Other gems are Cooter Pie, Betty Sue’s Fried Cucumbers, and one of my personal favorites, Lucy’s Guaranteed Stewed Prunes.

And I must admit, things like Reba’s Rainbow Ice Box Cake, and Lady Divines Chicken-Asparagus Pie actually sound pretty darned good.

But I must share with your Laura Lee’s Fresh Summer Salad – you take 2 cucumbers, and cut off the ends.  Then with an end in one hand, the cucumber in the other, rub together real hard and fast.  When the liquid starts to foam, stop.  Now peel and slice them.

Meanwhile, slice 2 tomatoes in a long, low Pyrex baking dish, put in the cukes and cover with cider vinegar, salt and pepper to taste.  Chill  and serve with black-eyed peas.  Just don’t understand why you want the cucumbers to foam…  It’s a new one on me….  But I’m a huge fan of cucumbers and onions, so I might just have to give this a spin, foam and all…

Look for White Trash Cooking on eBay, you can get it on the cheap, and the pictures alone are worth the cost of the book.  It’s an experience for sure, everybody should have at least one white trash recipe for family gatherings – hey Easter is coming up, there has to be some kind of Jello salad in here to try….

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena