Wednesday, March 11, 2009

This baby boomer’s blast from the past, the hibachi!!!

Springtime, and our thoughts turn to outdoor grilling.  I was talking to hubby earlier today about how excited I was when I was a little girl to grill out on our hibachi.  He looked at me like I was nuts and started laughing.  Now why would he do that?  Hibachi’s were a wonderful thing.  We would dump in the charcoal, ignite it, and soon we would be grilling burgers and dawgs.

Hubby rained on my parade, telling me about how bad charcoal is for you.  Geezy Pete, it was just a few little ‘ole burgers.

Of course the hibachi is long gone, replaced now by my favorite portable grill, the Weber Smokey Joe.  OMG, Hooterville fires it up and cooks the best burgers you’ve ever put in your mouth, seriously.  I wish you could all try them.

Weber 40020 Smokey Joe Gold Charcoal GrillSmokey Joe is awesome.  Not only is it cheap, it’s easy to take along.  Set it on a picnic table, and you’re in business.  It’s cold once again in Heavensville, our 70 degree temps are gone for now, but I’m dreaming of warmer days and burgers on the Joe…

Sure we’ve got the big ole kick-ass stainless gas grill, that for some reason guys just find fascinating, but not me, gas  just doesn’t give you the  flavor that charcoal does.  I would much rather fire up this little beauty and treat myself to the real meal deal.  Such a simple thing…

2 comments:

  1. The hibachi has good memories for me too. Our smokey joe occasionally goes to the picnic tables overlooking the Ohio River for sunday breakfast cooked in an iron skillet. A thermos of coffee and sunday paper and its a great Sunday morning.
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I'm almost a year behind here, but I was looking for something else and ran across this. I am an avid bbq'er (or griller, w/e)....when I lived in Napa, I always had a Weber kettle and I LOVED it! I got rid of it when we moved to the desert, b/c, mainly, my dh insisted I do so. Other than that, he had a big ol' Weber gas grill which we gave away and the house we bought came with a stainless gas grill.
    There is NO comparison between the gas and a charcoal grill! I know they say it's bad for you, but the food just tastes like it's really bbq'd! I know Bobby Flay says you can use different woods on a gas grill to get the same flavor, but so far, I haven't had any success with that. My mom has two Smokey Joe's that she's holding onto for me, LOL....and I can't wait to get at least one of them! It's nice to have the gas grill (ours is hooked up to a gas line, so we don't even have to hassle with refilling a tank) when the weather isn't the greatest, but I'll take a charcoal grill over a gas one ANY day and I bbq almost every day!

    ReplyDelete

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena