Sunday, March 15, 2009

Personality vs. Functionality…

There is nothing I like more than a whimsical kitchen that just brims with personality.  I’m a huge fan of red appliances, french pigs, honey pots, all the fun things that make you smile when you walk into my kitchen.

But I’ve been transitioning toward functionality lately.  I’m tired of hauling out essential tools from underneath the counter to use that could easily be on top of my counter instead of all the things sitting there, just loaded with “personality,” that do nothing but bring me pleasure.

I walked to the garage earlier this week, and hubby had put a great cutting board on Milly, to haul to the trash.  I never used it, and it was just taking up space, so he was going to get rid of it.

It’s a really big cutting board, made of hardwood, that sets on stainless casters, it’s practically new and it’s wonderful, but it’s big so I wasn’t using it because I didn’t have the counter space.  So instead of letting him get rid of it, I went into the kitchen, cleaned off a whole area of personality and plopped down the functionality friendly cutting board, and ya know what.  I’m enjoying is so much more than I ever did that collection of vinegar bottles that I never used, and the hammered copper bowl, they were just taking up space and not used for anything.  They were there because they looked good, well to me at least they did.

I’m getting pretty smart in my old(er) age, a few years ago I wouldn’t have dreamt of giving up counter space for something so practical, when it could have been so “cute.”  Wisdom comes with age, huh…

I’m sure my family is proud of me, the boys complain every time they are home that there is no room to work!  Well, they have a nice space carved out right by the sink now, where they can prepare me meals, while I perch on a bar stool and supervise.  That’s another thing I’ve learned in my old(er) age, sit back and let them do it.  Works for me…

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena