Sunday, February 22, 2009

It’s been one of those days….

The M&M’s have acted like a couple of little sh*ts all day long!   I swear, dogs can be as naughty as little kids….  Bark, bark, bark, whine, whine – I’ve been really busy, and they are so spoiled, they weren’t getting enough attention, so they’ve just been little terrors.  I know, I know, it’s my fault for spoiling them, but enough already!   If this keeps up, they are going to have to take me to obedience school!

Egads, what a day!  But I did make hubby a nice dinner, including Ramona’s Butterfly Salad, which he adores.  Barb made it for her Valentines Day Party, and it reminded me that it’s been awhile since we’ve had it, and I had fresh strawberries and pineapple, and I sectioned some oranges to put in it – it was wonderful. 

I’ve gotten quite a few lemon recipes, thanks to all of you for helping me out with this.  I’m going to post them later this week, when things settle down a bit.

I’m also revamping the spring salad pages, and I will be posting our great salad recipes.  I would love to have more to add to the collection, so if any of you have salads to share, email me at munchiebusiness@gmail.com, and I’ll include them.

And yes, I know, you all want to know what Ramona’s Butterfly Salad is like.  Ramona is a wonderful lady that I’ve known for several years.  She is in her early eighties now, and she’s just delightful, and one of the best cooks I’ve ever known.  So here’s her recipe, this is absolutely wonderful!  If you blend the dressing for quite a while, it becomes as thick as honey.  I usually set it out of the fridge for a bit before I drizzle it on salads, it’s so thick.  It’s a sweet dressing, good on any kinds of greens.

I’ve also had great success making roasted sweet potato salad with it.  I just roast sweet potato chunks tossed with olive oil in my oven until they are tender and starting to brown, cool them, toss them with red onion slices, dried cranberries, walnuts and this dressing, then chill in the fridge.  It’s awesome!

And now, I’m going to cuddle my little monsters for awhile, even when they’re naughty, they’re still adorable!  Oh what a sucker I am…

Ramona's Butterfly Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

My friend Ramona gave me this recipe last year. Her daughter, Jane, made it for a brunch, and she LOVED it. I love it, too - the dressing is so thick, it is like honey.

It's a spectacular salad, good with chunks of cooked chicken tossed in, also... I made it recently and substituted strawberries and grapes for the kiwi, and used pecans instead of almonds - it was yummy!  This works well with any kind of fruit.

~ Jan

Salad:

1/2 C. (or so) sliced almonds, toasted

1 T. olive oil

1 T. sugar

4 crisp romaine hearts (or a bag of loose romaine heart lettuce, divided among 4 plates)

2 kiwi, peeled and sliced

15 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained

1/2 C. (or so) coarsely grated Parmesan cheese

Poppy seed dressing:

3/4 C. sugar plus 1 1/2 T.

1 t. dry mustard

1/2 C. chopped onion

1 t. salt

1/3 C. balsamic vinegar

1 C. mazola oil

1 1/2 T. poppy seeds

To make salad:

In a skillet, stir together almonds, olive oil and sugar. Cook over medium to medium-low heat until almonds smell "toasty." Allow to cool slightly.

On 4 plates, arrange equal amounts of romaine hearts, kiwi slices, mandarin oranges and Parmesan. Sprinkle with almonds.

To make dressing:

Whisk together all ingredients until you can no longer feel the sugar grains (because they have dissolved in the liquid) and the whisk leaves a trail in the thickened mixture. Drizzle, to taste, over plates. Makes about 3 cups, so you will have leftover dressing.

NOTE: When I make this, I find it necessary to blend dressing ingredients in my blender to get the silky smooth, honey like consistency, I prefer. ~ jan

Serves 4.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena