Sunday, October 19, 2008

Why I cook...

I cook because wholesome, flavorful food that you make at home tastes like nothing you eat in a restaurant. I cook because it not only fills your body, it nurtures your soul as well...


This morning I put a pork roast in the crock pot. I added fat cloves of garlic, onions and fresh cracked pepper, and let it cook all day. I once again roasted chunks of potatoes, onions and carrots sliced on the diagonal, infused with olive oil, seasoned with coarse kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper in mother's black iron skillet in the oven until the vegetables were golden brown and the onions carmelized.

I simmered flat italian green beans with ham and onions on the stove, and I made Martha Stewart's applesauce. Golden Delicious apples cut into wedges, the juice of a lemon, a healthy dash of ground ginger, fresh grated nutmeg, a cinnamon stick, and golden honey, all simmered until the apples were tender, then smashed with a potato masher to the consistency of chunky applesauce.

And this is why I cook. Because this simple homestyle food is so good. And because we deserve to eat well.

It's a good thing...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena