Friday, October 17, 2008

Coffee, the best part of waking up...

I was a late bloomer to the coffee club, started drinking it in my early 50's, after reading some nonsense that it curbed your appetite. I didn't care for it, but continued to drink it occasionally, and now I've evolved into a full-fledge pot a day girl...


I'm picky, though, no Folgers or Maxwell House for me. I've tried them several times, but they just don't do it. So, what does it? Starbucks Sumatra is my latest have to have. I drank Komodo Dragon for a couple of years, ever since my neighbor, Janet, brewed me a cup. I was browsing the beans at Starbucks last winter and asked the barista what their biggest seller was, and he told me it was Sumatra. Oh, it's wonderful coffee, full bodied, rich, but very smooth. I'm hooked.


I have one of those pain in the ass Cuisinart Grind 'n Brew coffee makers. It makes great coffee, and I love the fact that it grinds my beans for me before the brew, but oh is it ever hard to clean. Linds has one also, she complains, too, but we put up with the hard to clean part because of the fresh grind. I tried a couple of different types of podmakers, you know the one cup kind, no mess, no fuss, just wasn't my thing. It didn't make enough and the flavor wasn't there.


I've been hearing a lot lately about fresh roasted beans and how you need to use beans within something like fifteen days for peak flavor. Apparently there are several companies that ship roasted beans to you, I'm thinking about trying it the next time Hooterville visits. We spar about coffee constantly, we don't agree on brands, she poo-poo's Starbucks, telling me I just buy it because it's trendy, I tell her that the samo brands she likes are boring... It's all in fun, and no, I don't buy Starbucks because it's trendy, I buy it because I genuinely like it...


I'm a tea drinker, too, but that's another post...


I'm off to the kitchen to brew a pot...






1 comments:

  1. Hah! If you LOVE coffee, you can buy your own GREEN beans and roast them yourself! Now, THAT'S fresh coffee!
    Or, like my dad does, grow your own and then pick, dry, shuck, and roast. You might be able to grow your own where you are. I keep threatening to do it, but so far, haven't. I'm sure I could where I am~ maybe I'll have my dad send me a couple of little trees???

    ReplyDelete

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena