Friday, August 1, 2008

The past revisited…

I recieved an email from Judy, a family member on Daddy’s side that I hadn’t spoken to in years.  Over the course of conversations, she asked me if I remembered getting her clothes as a child, as she was a few years older than me.

I had totally forgotten that, but now I remember.  When I was a little girl Mother made all of my clothes, and unlike a lot of you who wore hand-me-downs from siblings, when I got clothes from friends or relatives, I had never seen them before, so to me it was a treat.  Oh, pretty store-bought clothes.  How exciting they were.

I remember, as a teenager, getting a white long sleeved blouse, with ruffles at the neck and the bottom of the sleeves from Mother’s friend, Helen.  I wore that blouse with a wool camel “straight skirt”, and I had this really long, skinny black clutch purse.  Those purses were a big fad in the 60’s, but I can’t remember the name of it.  It was really long, though, probably 18 inches, soft leather not a tall purse, just a long one.  Do any of you remember having one?

I wore that outfit to a ballgame, climbing high in the bleachers in that straight skirt, which was not easy, because in the 60’s, you did NOT hike it up, you just kind of climbed sideways.  Well, I thought I was SO hot in that outfit.  Oh my, what a memory…. In those days we actually dressed up for school events.  Can you imagine a teenager today dressing like that for a game?  When I was in school we coudn’t even wear pants, except on St. Patrick’s Day.  That was the only time we were allowed to go to school in anything except skirts and dresses.

And speaking of hot, I haven’t thought I looked "hot” in years and years. Remember those days, girlfriends, when you put on a outfit and actually liked the way you looked? Oh this getting old really sux!!! The only hot I have had for years is hot flashes, which, by the way subsided briefly, only to come back with a vengance. I guess Mother Nature just isn’t finished with my hormones.  Confused

Hooterville is here for a few days, we’re trying to beat the heat.  Today we beat it by going for an ice cream cone.  Worked for us…

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena