Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Did you ever have a childhood memory so strong that it just immobilized you....

I did, yesterday. John brought me a container of corn to try that someone from work had made. And since he's a Southern boy now, so was this dish.

It was simple, fresh corn, cut and scraped off the cob, fried in bacon grease.

Oh my, one taste, and I was ten years old again, sitting in Aunt Idalene's kitchen eating fried corn that tasted exactly like what he shared with me... It took me back in time, instantly - I haven't tasted corn like that since childhood. The years just fell away, and I was, for a split second, that little girl again... I was actually emotional at the vividness of it all...

Memories....

2 comments:

  1. i would love to have an experience like that jan. i have had similar but not as compelling with the scent of certain flowers, lily of the valley, lilacs. i can completely understand the emotional response. the past couple of years i have found myself visiting memories far more often that i had before. and nostalgia can wash right over me before i know it. sometimes for me it isn't easy getting old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I use to fry fresh corn in bacon grease with a ton of onions and green peppers then sprinkle on the crumbled bacon! Damn, this makes me hungry ... sadly, I no longer cook with bacon grease. Of course, nothing taste as good as it used to either :(

    Please no more references to "bacon grease" on this blog. I'm drooling on my kepboard!

    ReplyDelete

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena