Thursday, May 29, 2008

A little nostalgia for you...

I've always been a reader, as a little girl I just adored the Bobbsey Twins. I had several of their books, in fact I still have them, they're pretty shopworn by now, because I read and re-read them.

Children today would be so bored with these books and it's so sad, because the world has evolved to the point that these charming little reads would now be viewed as hokey by most little girls. *sigh* It's such a loss.

You can actually read The Bobbsey Twins in the Country in it's entirety online. If you have a little child that might be interested, Here's The Link.

And the following is a brief synopsis from Wikypedia. If you are of my generation, you are probably smiling right now as you remember your own childhood and summers spent reading about the Bobbsey's.

The Bobbsey family consists of:
  • The father, Richard, a successful lumber merchant;
  • The mother, Mary (referred to at least once as "Edith");
  • Bert and Nan, slim, brown-eyed, straight-haired brunette, the older of two sets of fraternal twins;
  • Flossie and Freddie, chubby, blue-eyed, curly-haired blonds), the younger twins.

Also living under the Bobbsey roof are Dinah and Sam Johnson, a black couple. Dinah is the Bobbsey family's cook and housekeeper, while Sam has been variously described, depending on the vintage of any particular book, as the Bobbseys' "man of all work," their chauffeur, a neighborhood handyman, or a truck driver at the Bobbsey lumberyard (in later volumes, Mr. Bobbsey's most trusted employee).

The Bobbseys live in the fictional city of Lakeport, on the shore of the equally fictional Lake Metoka, presumably somewhere in the northeastern U.S. The Bobbseys have relatives "in the country" (Richard Bobbsey's brother Daniel and his family, introduced in volume 2) on a farm near the rural town of Meadowbrook (in most books set there, that is also the name of the farm itself), and other relatives "at the seashore" (Mary Bobbsey's sister Emily Minturn and her family, introduced in volume 3), who live in the seaside hamlet of Ocean Cliff.


2 comments:

  1. I loved the Bobbsey Twins! I read and reread those books over the years. It makes me feel good just to think about them. They were first, in order, on my bookshelf, followed by "The Happy Hollisters." I still have those books, but you're right - my kids weren't fond of them. Losers:)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too loved the Bobsey twins Jan.. I still have a few of their books and remember being in my room just reading them!! I think I have only two and I have scanned the covers and inside papers and a page or two for a future scrapbook layout... those books were like the "Harry Potter" series was in our day.. I too read Happy Hollisters, but do not remember much of them.. I will definitely check out that link just to re-read a childhood story!! Have a great day!! XO Christa

    ReplyDelete

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena