Friday, March 14, 2008

It was a good day...

I took Maggie with me to get my haircut and then we visited an elderly friend in the nursing home. The visit started off with a smile, when they were loading an elderly patient into a van to transport her to the doctor. She was in a wheelchair, on oxygen, and she saw Maggie and just went ballistic. "Ohhhhh, let me see her, ohhhhhh I had a Yorkie and had to get rid of her when I came here." "I don't WANT to go to the doctor, I want to stay here and hold this dog." "I'm in room 172, bring her back to see me" she yelled as she was being wheeled into the van and I assured her that we would be back. She had snatched Mags right out of my arms, and did not want to give her back. It was just priceless...

Needless to say Miss Margaret MooLatte was the hit of the day. She had on her little yellow hoodie with a purple flowered twistie in her topknot, and we were stopped countless times for pets and cuddles. One woman apparently was a stroke victim, she couldn't talk but she was mumbling to me and trying to gesture with her hands. I took Maggie and put her little face next to that lady's cheek, and she was smiling and her eyes were just dancing with excitement, she was so happy to feel that little furbaby against her skin. When we arrived at Bettye's room, she practically jumped out of her chair she was so excited to see her. She said that it was nice of me to visit, too but she was REALLY glad I brought the dog. She and Maggie are old friends, so Maggie cuddled right down on her lap where she stayed the entire time we visited.

Bettye sat in her winged chair, and I sat directly in front of her in her wheelchair (the only seating available) with her feet propped up in my lap and Maggie stretched out on her legs, snoozing away the afternoon. We talked and laughed, and I gave her a foot massage and life was good. That's all it takes sometimes to make your world a little brighter, just to go outside yourself and do something nice for someone. I took her a big yellow soft fuzzy duck for Easter, lots of Cadbury Eggs and Peeps and jelly beans, she was just thrilled...

So, no scrapbooking accomplished as I had planned, but today Plan B worked much better for me...

1 comments:

  1. i love the way you tell about your ordinary but priceless days :)
    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete

© all the latest from Nashville ya'll, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena